Friday, June 29, 2012

Adding a Little Flare


Normally this would go into my blog over at IEFilms. But it’s resting in a state of Limbo, while I decide it’s fate. So, for now, here it is…
A "Submarine" that i hit toys in and slept in.

I used to make a lot of my toys. I could make just about anything out of cardboard and shipping tape (I have my parents to thank for supporting that creativity). Over the years that grew into prototypes for items I thought people could use. Objects for games like Paintball and airsoft.
I started collecting my own tools and building my own kit in college, coming up with increasingly difficult and time consuming projecting. And then I all but stopped. Maybe graduation gave me the sense that I have to spend money to be “legitimate.” That I can’t, or shouldn’t build props if I want to be taken seriously.
That’s a very expensive mentality.

I’ve been scrounging for props for a new video;

An old fashioned typewriter. Luckily, we had one in the garage.
A tweed jacket for my actor, Timmy… Done, $6 at Goodwill.

And finally, a flare gun. $68-75 on the internet. This was killer. I wanted to so bad. But I wasn’t going to be able to afford spending that kind of money.
I begged people whom I thought would have one. Nothing. I was searching online… Nil, at least without spending loads of money I don’t have. I was ready to rewrite the script.
And then FreddieW (A youtube group made up of Freddie Wong and Brandon Laatsch posted a video commentary on their video “Real Life Portal Gun” where they say “We didn’t have the real thing. So, we made do.” That might be me paraphrasing. :)
And I’m trying to reapply that mentality where I can. My girlfriend might shake her head at that, as she’s been saying that for months. Other friends have said it as well.
So there I am, grubbin’ on a burger at Red Robin’s when BAM! It hits me. I have a plastic toy revolver that I found from when I was little, Gorilla Glue, a PVC pipe that happens to be the size I need, and one can of obnoxious Safety Orange Spray Paint. This is what I need it to look like.

Real                                                                       
1.5 hours later, I’m holding a prop that I’m pretty satisfied with (keep in mind, a lot of that time was spent waiting for paint to dry.). Oh, and I saved $75. Booya.

Finished Piece
 

Would John Woo accept that in a close up? No. No, he would not.
Am I John Woo, or have a John Woo budget? No. A resounding no to both of those.
But I think this will do great. I’ll keep you informed as I can. Next post like this will be lighting (Inspired by Ryan Connolly of Triune Films and Film Riot.)

For now, Good Night. :)

1 comment: