Monday, April 23, 2012

A Life In Motion

I’ve had two and a half weeks to stew over my arm. To really take some time to think about what I want. As my old coach approached me about getting healthy and new training techniques, he made me realize that I don’t want to come back this time. At least not for pole vault.

When I was waiting to see the doctor and find out if I need surgery, I kept thinking “you can have track. And Vault. Please don’t take climbing from me.” I knew this day has been coming for a while. Pole vaulting has left me with so much damage to my joints, spine and muscles. I spent a lot of time wanting a goal. It’s hard to spend so many years reaching for something and fall short. Even after I stopped loving it and knew the toll it was taking on my health, I chased the dream anyways.

So I’ve been thinking about starting a new blog. A third one? Why? I can’t even keep up with this one, and there’s another one collecting dust. I want a place where I can talk freely, share whatever is going on in my life. Post adventures, Pictures, Videos.

And that banner needs to go. V10 or Bust? As Tim Lundy pointed out “Guess we all know it was a bust.” (I laughed hysterically at that… and how I didn’t think of it first.). It was good in theory. But now, it’s time to adapt to the situation. Once I can start Physical Therapy, it’s supposed to take 3-6 months to recover. I’d rather not come back reaching for some goal that blinds me from the joy I get by simply moving. I don’t want to waste hours of my day obsessing over goals like that anymore.

I want to spend my time enjoying the beauty of motion. The human body is incredible. The way we fall down and can get up. We heal and scar. I want to explore this. Find the need to move in others. See what drives them. Maybe motivate others to follow in their footsteps, or create paths of their own.

I’d love for others to be involved; telling their stories or sharing pictures. Whatever it is that makes you move, don’t hesitate to share it.

I’ve gotten in contact with several people who have a passion for movement. Each having a vastly different discipline than the others. Hopefully over the next few months I can meet with them, shoot some photos or videos and share their stories with you. :)

If you’d like to show your support, there’s a little follow button at the top of this page that you can click in order to get updates as they come out. You can also share your thoughts in the comments below.

Take care and goodnight

James

1 comment:

  1. James my friend,

    It's easy to drift into thinking you've failed when you've been chasing goals in a sport for so long... It was the same with me for Speed Skating. I felt like an utter failure for months. However, a simple change of perspective helped me greatly. Instead of focusing on what I would not be able to accomplish in the future, I put the focus on everything I HAD accomplished in the past and everything I had learned. Coaching will put the emphasis on that :P

    I didn't know your arm was that bad... Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete