Friday, April 13, 2012

Gear Shifting Goodness

I feel like I’m beating my head against a wall any time I have to say I’m injured again. This one is by far the worst I’ve had in the last year and it is not climbing related. It happened while pole vaulting. My right bicep tore. It’s deformed (though a week later, it already looks and feels so much better.) and I can’t flex it.
The dark pics are from a couple days after...

Doctor says the tendon is in tact. So no surgery. Just 3-6 months physical therapy. Might be able to get on a wall in a few months. We’ll see. No rush.

Originally, this post was very sullen and depressing. My extra time was being spent over analyzing what I could have done wrong. But a week of going over it, I was left feeling it was simply a fluke. My vault was fine. It just happened. And I let it go.

I took more time before this, letting my mood adjust and find something positive in this. First off: I’m hurt. I can’t change that. It’s time to focus on getting healthy. Second: I love photography/videography. Now’s a good chance to work and build my portfolio. And finally: my body has needed a serious break for a very long while now. I may not have wanted this, but I’m pretty certain I needed this.

One Week Later...

So the gears shift. I’d love for photography/videography to be the way I make money. I have a business, but have struggled to put the time and energy into it that would make it a viable source of income. Well… I have time now.

I’ve lined up some paying gigs. And have been in contact with several climbers about doing some still photo shoots and possibly some videos in the near future.

I may redesign the blog soon (this week or next) to reflect the shift in focus. Please let me know what you think in the comments below. :)

James

No comments:

Post a Comment