Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Workouts: Week 2

Day 1: Lets try Pyramids again

I realized I was doing the pyramid workout wrong. Last week, I tried to do 4xV2’s,3xV3’s,2xV4’s,1Xv5,2xV4’s,3xV3’s,4xV2’s. But after going through the book where I got this workout (The Self Coached climber), apparently, I was over zealous; not giving myself enough rest and adding to many problems to the routine.

The correct pyramid workout was 4xV2’s, 2xV3’s, 1xV4, 1xV5, 1xV4, 2xV3’s, 4xV2’s. The rest is whatever I need to not get pumped.

I climbed with a friend for part of the session. The 2’s and 3’s were fine. Even the V4 was good. But I still think I rushed my rests. Because the V5 tore me to pieces. I was 1 more from finishing and definitely let myself take too many attempts at it. I just wanted it so bad.

This made the next V4 extremely difficult. I couldn’t finish it. Tried a few times, but knew anymore work would make it hard to do the rest of the workout. The V3’s were also very rough. I had wasted a lot of energy making this part that much harder. The Last v2’s all pushed me mentally as I struggled to keep myself going. My last two were so hard, I felt my grip loosen and I was certain I was going to peel off at the top.

I didn’t. I felt good about the work out. Much better than last week. Even now my hands and forearms are mad at me.

I will say this. I hate climbing when the gym is packed. But in that sea of faces are some really amazing friends. Climbers whom I’ve spent time with and gotten to know. Their support during this rebuilding and healing phase has been monumental. So, though they probably won’t read this: Thanks to all of you.

Day 2: Pop, Pop, Pop.

I postponed the workout form Wednesday. I was super ripped to pieces and need an extra day to recover. Plus I had been wet from work for about 6 hours. And the snow started to fall. I called it a night and went to bed.

I went back tonight, feeling better. I was ready to tackle the 4x4 workout. I arrived and began warming up. Felt great. About half way through, I was on a crimp. No big deal. Until I tried to adjust my hand, slipped. It’s that classic moment of not letting go.

I rotated, still on the crimp. And heard a quick pop, pop, pop from my wrist.

Fuck! Seriously?!? I just felt good about my right hand… now my left might be messed up? I did finish the route. It didn’t hurt. So I thought, maybe it was nothing.

A few minutes later… I couldn’t put any pressure on it. I could make a fist. Couldn’t squeeze. I iced it for 20 minutes. Lost feeling. Explained the concept of icing to a couple climbers. They were all cool about the wrist and shared stories about injuries. It was fun hanging out with the guys throttling the hardest routes in the gym.. it’s the group I figured I’d be climbing with by now. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. So, it’s back to resting.

I’ll see a doctor. I’ll let you know how it goes. Prediction for day 3: Moping… or maybe I’ll do some photography. There’s a few of those climbers that would be fun to shoot.

Day 3: Moping.

No, not really. And this is a bit late. So I’ll recap. Friday was the nicest day we’ve had so far in 2012. And I spent it in urgent care waiting to see a doctor.

I’m not entirely sure why I felt this was necessary. The doctor’s are too rushed to care, and honestly, I give better prognoses than they do (cocky much? Well… not when it’s true.)

So, I felt it was a strained/hyperextension of two tendons. 2 hours in a waiting room and then 40 minutes in a check up room… the doctor finally arrives and sees me for about 3 minutes. Max. “Ice and Tylenol.” That’s it? I know that. I paid money and close to 3 hours of a beautiful day to hear what I was already doing? So glad you spent ten years of your life in medical school.

Now, the pain has already diminished considerably. I have full range of motion. Mostly it’s an acute soreness. I’ve been wearing a brace, not because it really immobilizes it. But it reminds me not to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment