Saturday, September 17, 2011

Accountability

My coach in college taught me early to not only write goals and place them where I can see them daily, but also tell others of my goals. If I’m sincere and realistic these won’t sound cocky or arrogant and hopefully these people will help hold me accountable.

My short-term goal for climbing is my first V7 by the end of September (half way through the month now…). I have 3 routes that I think are doable by then and I’m pushing hard for it. I went 3 days in a row projecting at my max. This is the kind of sore and broken that makes me sleep for a day, be anti-social and enjoy every grinding second of it.

I’m getting closer too. The progress seems almost unnoticeable. But as tired as I am, I feel my moves get smoother. My breathing has become less rapid and more controlled keeping me from getting too taxed. And although more and more pieces of my skin are gone and the pain grows, I feel calmer with each attempt.

So what about accountability? I feel like I have a place in this community. Most of the employees know my name. Several climbers are comfortable enough with me to talk beta and project with me. It’s this group that holds me accountable.

In the last 3 days of climbing, I noticed these friends asking me the same question, “Have you gotten that 7 yet?” I heard this probably 6 or 7 times, and Steve (the guy who introduced me to the routes I’m attempting.) asked me specifically if I was making progress.

It serves as a little reminder that people care, and want to see me succeed (or they’re actually jerks and are hoping I fail… I choose the more positive option.). And it pushes me when my own reservoir of motivation is running low. The sound of someone encouraging me may not perform miracles, but I tend to reach for at least one more hold when someone is egging me on.

A lot of that motivation came from my dear friend, Kyle. My fellow teammate in Track, roommate during my senior year of college and fellow Ninja, he’s the one introduced me to climbing. He came to town to hang out and “crush” I guess is the climber’s term he used (and I’m supposed to know by now… haha).

He’s a powerful climber. Part of the reason I’ve worked so hard is to just catch up to him and be able to climb with him. He has taught me a lot and I’m finally closing the gap.

He often receives my post-session texts describing my night. It usually includes: what I accomplished, how I performed mentally, or if any cute girls said hi to me (not a common notification, mind you…). He holds me accountable by pushing me constantly.

Motivation lacking? Talk to Kyle.

Technique not up to snuff? Talk to Kyle.

Diet not where it should be? Hangout with Kyle. He’ll make you feel guilty.

You get the idea. He, along with so many climbers that I’ve gotten to know over the last few months have really kept me on track to this V7. Now for two days rest and then back to grinding it out.

P.S. Because of the heat, I was going through chalk like mad (sweaty palms :p ). So I upgraded to a chalk bucket… now there’s 20oz of a white substance I can’t take on a plane.

And one more thing… the second set of shoelaces on my La Sportiva Muira’s broke. Making them the second pair in a month. This is Kyle’s subtle hint that I need a new pair. And if you’re wondering why… these one’s go to 11.

Weight: 173 (13 lbs off goal...) Have no fear! It’s only pizza and beer!

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I think I'm gonna put my goals on display, too. Excelsior, true believer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, appreciate you taking the time to read it.

    p.s. I get the name now. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James, great blog! I came across it on rockclimbing.com and it inspired me to start my own, z-clip.blogspot.com. Awesome progress! It's October, get that v7 yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nathan, I'm actually sitting down to write my blog about September right now. check it out and let me know what you think. keep it up and i'm looking forward to checking out your posts.
    James

    ReplyDelete